Two very different decisions

I felt sorry for my Dad, we had been told I could get patient transport from Hinchingbrooke Hospital to Addenbrooke’s Hospital but last minute .com they said they couldn’t. Well that’s a small lie, they could get me a wheelchair taxi but my Dad would have to come with me, if he had to come over and do that then he may as well take me too. As my appointment at Addenbrooke’s was for 08:00 in the morning we left Hinchingbrooke Hospital at 06:30.

I was seeing Lynne (my Prosthetist) to try on my test socket before we have the final one made. I’d taken in my leg, shoe (already on my leg) and liner in with me, as it was I only needed the shoe and liner. She came out with a leg the same as mine and the test socket was already attached to it. I’d been concerned that she’d have to cancel the fitting, as I still couldn’t straighten my leg fully when standing. I put the liner on, climbed into the socket and pushed in. It was really tight and half way in it was pretty evident I wasn’t going to get any further. Lynne took the leg away to remove some of the inside of the socket. She came back and I tried again, although I got in much further I couldn’t get all the way in, it was hurting the end off the stump and bone where I was pushing so hard. We think that because of the infection and the fact that I hadn’t worn my stump sock while I’d been in Hospital that the stump had expanded a bit. She didn’t want to take anymore out of the socket now and then when I get my new socket just fall into it. As frustrating as it was I need to get this next socket right. When I’m able to start back at Physio Lynne will bring the leg in and we’ll try it again. I’m reasonably optimistic that when I’m better and have been wearing the stump sock regularly again it will reduce the stump size and I will fit in nicely. I’m just fed up with so many things having such a knock on effect with one another and causing delay after delay.

When I got back to Hinchingbrooke Hospital I had to have another blood test. I’d done loads of work over the weekend to try and get my leg working well enough to be able to go home. It was more painful and swollen now but I was just taking a bit more medication to counteract this. When the Doctor took my blood he felt my knee and said it was a bit hot, he went away and I had a nail-biting wait for the results. Late afternoon and he came back, at first he said that he wanted to keep me in just one more night, which made me think that the inflammatory markers were not as low as he wanted them to be. He felt my knee again and said that it didn’t feel as hot as it did earlier, to my relief he then told me he would let me go home. The other issue that I have has to be investigated further and they want to address that before I get referred to the specialist knee and infection clinic at Oxford. After the disappointment of the morning the evening’s news more than made up for it.

I think this is all going to drag on for some time with many appointments and tests heading my way. All I can do is sit tight, ride the storm and hope it passes more quickly than expected. It’s frustrating that all my stuff to practice my skills for my business are in the shed, as I cant get down there at the moment. Hopefully if I can put in some more hard work on my knee it wont be too long before I can get back down the shed and practice once again. It wont bother me quite as much how long the other things are taking, as at least I’ll be doing something constructive and it will help take my mind off it all a bit. All that said it’s great to be home again and I’d rather be recovering here than stuck in Hospital, mmmmmmm home sweet home.

Test Socket

4 Responses to “Two very different decisions”

  1. Hey stranger!

    I apologise for not being in touch recently, its just been one of those times.

    Sorry to find out that you have been having it so tough, it can’t have been easy for you. I understand how frustrating it can stuck in hospital and even more so when your discharge is delayed.

    Reading back a couple of posts when you described having your drain tubbing removed I couldn’t help but feel sorry for you. I know that’s not the reaction you would have been after but you described it so well I could feel the pain myself.

    One thing I have picked up on is a big difference in your writing over the last couple of posts. Although you have been taking hit after hit I have never noticed you been so positive. I don’t know what has changed or if you ar aware of it? Whatever has changed, keep it up. Its great to see you rolling the punches.

    I’ll keep in touch


    • Hiya

      I’m pleased you haven’t been following much as I was so happy to read it’s because you have been out, about and socialising. That’s great news and I expect you’re feeling the benefits in many ways.

      There is no way I could possibly describe the pain I was in with that drain coming out but I’m pleased it came across as well as it did. It was by far the longest deepest tube I’ve had and the fact that it had started healing while it was still in there didn’t help either. It makes you think that although I was in tears I wasn’t screaming or shouting and if I can get through that I should be able to get through most things. To be honest I should really have had a minimum of a local anaesthetic for that.

      I’m concious of the comments you made before, about being more open than just writing the facts, I don’t think I’ve manage to achieve that just yet. I hadn’t noticed the change you commented on here, but It’s nice to know that you’re reading that from it. Unfortunately because of the things that are happening I’m a bit disappointed with blog at the moment. It was supposed to be how I became and recovered from an amputation but now it just seems to be negative, doom and gloom and moving away from the amputee factor. I hope I can get it back on track soon.

      As always thanks very much for your comment :) x

  2. I completely disagree, I don’t think you need to get back on track. Your most recent posts have been the most interesting insights into what you’re going through. If that’s not talking about how you became and recovered from your amputation then I don’t know what is!

    Keep going the way you are because they are excellent x

    • Thank you very much for your kind words. I wanted to help people by explaining what it was like to become an amputee on the NHS. Hardly any amputees (at least I hope no) will go through the set backs I’m having, which makes me feel like I’m moving away from it’s intended purpose. As you say though, like it or not, this is what I’m going through while still recovering and trying to get back on my feet as an amputee. Maybe it will be encouraging for others to know that despite setbacks and other medical problems (especially with the other leg) you can still get on with life. Thanks again for your encouragement and support it’s much appreciated :) x

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: